A relationship is built on so many aspects such as honesty, commitment, respect, and love. There are many other reasons why relationships survive the test of times and like many, sex also plays a role. Sex, in my opinion, is an affectionate way of showing your partner how much you value each other in your relationship.
Although sex should not be the deciding factor in a relationship or marriage, this is not always the case. Sex addiction is when an individual is addicted to sexual activities. Examples could include a partner or spouse who can never be fully satisfied in the bedroom leading to having multiple partners. Fortunately like most addictions, sex addiction can be treated. Liberty Home is a Cape Town rehab that treats sex addiction as well as other addictive behaviours.
Sex addiction is a common addiction and yet some people take it lightly compared to the other addictions that we know. If this addiction is not dealt with, it can break a lot of households. Symptoms of sex addiction include:
- Obsessive stimulation: Although masturbation is common, there are instances where this activity can be constantly practiced by an individual. When you can’t go a day without masturbating, you might just be suffering from sex addiction. It is important to check your sexual activities and if there are any red flags, seek for help.
- Multiple sexual partners: If you are not satisfied and content with having one sexual partner, you could be suffering from sex addiction. When you constantly have the urge of sleeping around without a care in the world about your life or health, you could be a victim of this addiction. Although cheating is a choice, it can’t be compared to sex addiction. Cheating is a decision you take upon yourself to commit all the adulterous activities you want to commit. Sex addiction, on the other hand, is an addiction that you can’t control because you don’t even think it is an obsession, to begin with. South Africa is home to some of the world’s best rehabilitation centres in Cape Town, drawing thousands of international clients every year.
- Uncontrollable crave of sexual activities: Without a doubt, sex is an exhilarating experience especially if it is performed with somebody you love. I believe it enhances all affections and emotions you have for someone in a good or bad way. However, when you are constantly thinking about sex every time of the day and can’t even go about your daily tasks, this might be a problem you need to look into.
- Feeling annoyed when you can’t participate in sexual activities: Sex is a mutual agreement. It should never be forced or rehearsed. Every sexual encounter should happen effortlessly and amicably. Sexual addicts often get angry when they can’t get their way sexually with someone. An example could be a person refusing to engage in sexual activities with them or not stimulating them in the way they want to be triggered.
- Abandoning obligations for sex: When you start skipping work or classes in order to please your sexual desires, this could also be a red flag. If you have started to value the things you love doing less such as spending time with your loved ones or work just to please your sexual needs, you might be suffering from sexual addiction.
Sexual addiction is not something to be ashamed of. It is a common addiction that can be treated if you want to change. Unless you want to be constantly led astray by your sexual desires, you need to get help in order to save your life and all the people in it.
Change can only materialize if you are willing to embrace difficulty with the constant positivity that someday, everything will fall back in its place. Sex addiction is an addiction that is destroying beautiful homes; don’t let it knock on your door!